01 September 2010

In The Moments


I think Sunday August 29th was the best day in August.  But it didn't start that way.  I really hate to admit this, but I had a cry that morning.  And not just a stray tear that starts by welling up in my eyes and then spills over, rolling down my cheek.  It was an ugly deluge of tears and sobs that left me exhausted, red-eyed, and with a throbbing headache.  I was tempted to stay at home that morning from church in fear of sobbing through the entire service but I went, and aside from a few sad faces and a cracked voice during worship, I soon started to feel better.  

It turns out my cathartic cry was just what was needed because when I went to bed that night I could hardly fall asleep, I was that happy.

And I thought about why my day would have been such a good day.  The cold crisp air and hot cup of  coffee in the morning was a perfect combination, but that wasn't why I was so happy.  My clean kitchen floors, my organized spice drawer, and my afternoon nap did make my day more enjoyable, but that wasn't why I was so happy.  The anticipation of a busy fall schedule is something I am definitely looking forward to, but that wasn't way I was so happy.

And I realized that my entire day was filled with people that I wanted to see.  I spent some time visiting with family and old friends.  I chatted with new friends who I am just starting to get to know and I had the chance to catch up with people I haven't seen all summer.  My day was filled visiting, laughing and enjoying life, in the moment.

In the moment sharing dreams of the future.  In the moment with jazz hands and a sabers dance rendition at Sunday's brunch.  In the moment watching babies smile.  In the moment getting to know people better. In the moment planning a grand kitchen design.  In the moment singing happy birthday at a surprise party.  In the moment watching people talk and laugh together.

As I fell asleep that night, I thought of each and every person I saw that day and I was thankful to have them in the moments of my day.

~b~

No comments:

Post a Comment