10 May 2011

Mothers Day


One year I took my son on a trip to Edmonton for his 7th or 8th birthday.  After checking into the hotel, the first stop on our itinerary was a trip to the Science Centre.  We had only been there for an hour or so when he ended up breaking his arm.  Ironically, he broke his arm while running at the human body exhibit.  

The rest of the day was spent at the first aid station, then a mediclinic, and finally to the ER at the childrens hospital. He ended up have surgery to get a pin in his arm so our entire trip was spent at the Stollery Children's Hospital.  

All I can remember is the 6+ hour wait in the emergency room where I had to rig up a "bed" for him using two chairs which faced each other.  Apparently, all he remembers is a comment I must have made to one of the doctors.  



Roses are red.  Violets are blue.  You are my mother and I love you.  Happy Mothers day.
Your going to buy me a game cause you almost risked my life at edmonton cause you thought I was a whimp when I broke my arm.

Being a single mother, I never get a gift for mothers day, so this year I decided to change that.  I sent my son along with his mentor to the mall with some money and a few specific suggestions.  When I picked him up I could see that he had a Body Shop bag and I told him that if he would like a nice gift bag to please let me know, as I had a few saved.

While its nice getting a gift on Mothers Day, it is more important for me to teach my son how to be thoughtful and give a gift.  My favorite part of the day was the huge smile on his face when he brought out my gift.  My second favorite part of the day was his garbage bag gift bag that he had made.




In case your wondering, he bought me Almond and Shea Body Butters, a Starbucks gift card, and Mumford & Sons- Sigh No More.


~b~

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10 May, 2011

    The poem is funny, Becky. I once broke my arm after falling off a horse. My mother also called me a wimp and told me to get back on the horse. She then took me home where she discovered my arm was very swollen. We proceeded to the emergency from home. It made me chuckle when I read your sons poem. This must happen to many mothers!

    Love your blog!

    From Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a trip...

    I like your mothers day story! A great one really! I can't believe how pleased the kids are to get me something, once I taught them how and gave them my money to get me something... but it really is the smile they have when they present it to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading my blog Angela! It definitely makes me feel better to know that other mothers call their children wimps!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, it really is the smile that I will remember.

    ReplyDelete