04 April 2010

Just Call Me Becky Crocker


When my son was in Kindergarden I held the crazy idea that to be a good mother, one must sent cupcakes to school on his birthday for the whole class to share.   And not just store bought cupcakes, but homemade cupcakes.  

And so I went to the store, found the baking isle and quickly located the cake mixes.  I stood there scanning the selections:  Devils Food Cake, Angel Food Cake, Chocolate Fudge Cake, Vanilla Cake, Rainbow Cake . . . the selections seem endless.  Now, all I wanted was a simple white cake so I could bake and then frost the tops with icing.  But I looked and looked and couldn't find any white cupcake mix.

They must be out of stock, I thought, so I left the store and when to a different store looking for some cupcake mix.  Same deal - the shelves were stocked with a ton of selections of cake mix, but not one box of cupcake mix was to be found.  

I was beginning to get frustrated, but knowing that this was the first year my son would be celebrating his birthday at school, I really wanted to send some special homemade cupcakes with him.  

And so, I went to a third store.  Again, the same thing happened - the shelves has so many cake mixes, but not one cupcake mix box could find.  I was starting to get frustrated, so I phone my good friend and relayed the entire story, complaining that I couldn't find a cupcake mix anywhere.

I was met with hystarical laughing coming out of the phone.  

I've come a long way since searching for the elusive Cupcake Mix,  here is my very first, (made from scratch) homemade cake:


Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Icing.   

~b~

No comments:

Post a Comment