12 March 2009

It was inevitable.

Yesterday I updated my facebook status to:  Becky is succumbing to the ubiquitous cold.  Just to clarify; I was not referring to the recent horrid temperatures, but rather to the "common cold". 

In my mind I have personified my cold, into one who is annoying and persistent and who has been making increased demands for my attention until I can no longer ignore him.  By personifying my cold I can now focus my efforts into fighting this invisible foe which is inhabiting my body.  

For weeks the Cold was nicely contained within my sinuses, a little annoying when I couldn't breathe or smell, but nothing major.  He then moved into my inner left ear and I felt like a little old man was walking around crinkling tissue paper within my ear.  

Today, I had to leave work early.  On the way home I stopped at the store to pick up my "Sick Kit".  This is my version of a first aid kit, but is only used when I am sick.  

It consists of: 

1) A 3 Day Supply of Cold fX
2) Ginger Ale
3) Orange Juice 
4) Halls Centers 
5) a box of Kleenex, and
6) some Chicken Noodle Soup. 

The contents of my Sick Kit seem pretty stereotypical, and in all honesty I will probably never drink the orange juice.  But it just makes me feel better knowing I have these items in the house.  I have no idea whether there is any scientific basis to using Cold fX, but I will definitely shell out money for any placebo effects I can get.

As a side note, my dog is taking advantage of my weakness by sleeping in bed with me all day long.  I could think that he is just trying to "be there for me", but I strongly suspect its all about the sleeping on the bed for him.

1 comment:

  1. Too funny about your dog - I know all about that!
    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete