27 March 2010

3 Words and a Picture



Portmanteau

1 - a large suitcase
2 - a word or morpheme of words whose form and meaning are derived from a blending of two or more distinct forms (smog from smoke and fog)

"To carry from"

Having never seen this word before I came across the word portmanteau twice within a week.  Weird.

Rubric

1a - an authoritative rule, esp. a rule for the conduct of liturigical service.
1b - something under which a thing is classed
1c - an explanatory or introductory commentary

I've been listening to Mars Hill Podcasts and kept hearing Pastor Mark Driscoll say the word rubric.  It made me picture a rubix cube.  You can listen to Mars Hill Podcasts HERE.

Omage

1a - a made up word
1b - my own portmanteau, by combining the english word homage with it's French counterpart hommage.
1c - rhymes with frommage

I was thinking of planning a blog post especially for my coworker because her last day at work is Tuesday.  I wanted to pay homage to her, but all I could think of was paying Omage instead.




~b~

No comments:

Post a Comment