03 December 2009

This made me cry . . .

I was looking through Kijiji today in the volunteer section and came across this post:

Wanted:  Family? . . . Strange request . . .


Hello, this is probably a very strange request, but maybe someone will find in their hearts to reply back.
I am a 28yr old, hardworking, single mom of two young children.  I am deeply missing something in my life, and therefore spend many days feeling very lonely.  I'm missing that thing some take for granted... "family".  I am looking for someone or a family to almost like adopt us into their lives... I am not asking for money help... only companionship, the experience to feel what a family is suppose to feel like.  To be able to sit and laugh and play board games, or whatever... I have always longed for it and have never been able to experience it.  It would be sooo nice for my children to have someone to look up to as a "grandma" figure... or "grandpa"... I don't know what else to say other then I feel very stupid even posting this.  But what do you do when that's all you want in life?... I don't have many friends, just a couple, so it really is just me and my kids. . . . Maybe I'm expecting too much.. or maybe this will really touch the right person's heart...here's to hoping!

I read that post and it made me cry.

It made me cry because I know what it's like to have a good job, a nice place to live, and a loving and caring child (and dog) and yet still feel like something is missing.

It made me cry because it vividly reminded me of a time at the Children's Hospital in Edmonton (My son broke his arm on his sixth birthday and needed surgery to get a pin put in).  Besides the 5 hour wait in emergency room the only other memory I have in that hospital was sitting one night on a bench that over looked the atrium, an open space from the ground floor to the ceiling, some 6 or 7 floors up.  The hustle and bustle of the day was gone and as I sat there, in the dim light, I could see the rows of idle elevators and empty walkways that crisscrossed the atrium.  I can still hear the sound of the air as it blew through the ventilation, as I sat there feeling so very much alone.

It made me cry because I know her longing to connect with others, and to have the pleasure of seeing others connect with and enjoy your child/children.  Because playing a game by yourself with just your own child just isn't as fun as a game with a large group of people which usually includes friendly banter, rivalries and a level of intensity that just can't be matched.

And so I hope I pray that this woman will find what she is looking for.  And I will be thankful this holiday season for my blessings of family and close friends.

~b~

No comments:

Post a Comment