01 April 2009

Things That Make Me Happy


I was having a discussion with my son about whether or not money can make you happy.  So I decided to figure out what made me happy.  Not the kind of happy which makes me laugh, because, really, anything can make me laugh, but the kind that moves my heart.  

This is what I came up with:

  • I love watching my dog run at the dog park.  He has long lanky legs and he trots and he gallops, and he bounds and he romps all over the place as he investigates.  On the way home he sticks his head between the head rests of my car with a deliriously stupid, I mean, happy look on his face.

  • I love listening to my son talk.  He sings musicals as he brushes he teeth, about grenades, and guns, and torpedos.  He tells the dog he should hurry up and wash the dishes before Mom wakes up.  He says words like facetious, and eucalyptus (he use to pronounce it: ECHO-PLATUS).

  • I love when I see people being kind to others without ever expecting anything in return.

  • I love being outside and experiencing that "moment".  When nothing about me matters, but everything around me is amazing and beautiful and glorious. 

  • I love waking my son up with kisses.  His cheeks are so warm and he will try to retreat under the covers so he can be left sleeping peacefully.  If I am lucky I will get to see one dark pupil peering out at me behind his cute squinty eye, before it disappears all together.

  • I love seeing that smile on someone's face the instant they see you.  The smile from the recognition and enjoyment of who they see, and which only lasts until you can return their smile, or they can pull up their guard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment