09 May 2009

A Simple Saturday





Today I was feeling rather lazy and I didn't really feel like leaving the house.

So after leaving the house and picking up next weeks groceries and my son from his sleepover (shouldn't they be called awakeovers?), I decided to putter around the kitchen putting my groceries away and taking the time to clean and chop up all the veggies I had bought.


This week I'm making something I call Vegetarian Chili.  It's basically a mish-mash of vegetables and beans and chili powder, its super easy to make and my son asked for thirds the last time I made it- yessss! It's delicious and healthy, what could be better?


I decided to check on my son.  He appears to be sleeping although he could be faking.


Nope, not faking, he really is sleeping.  

Hmmm, I'm slightly jealous, must be nice to be able to have a nap at high noon.  And what were they doing at that sleepover?  That poor Mom.


This is the Handy Scraper from The Pampered Chef.  I love using it when I'm doing a lot of chopping, it makes transferring all those vegetables so easy and quick.


And this is what my dog Max is doing this fine Saturday afternoon. 

 Hmm, again, slightly jealous, having a nap, on MY bed.


Back to the veggies. 

I use to buy the pre-washed lettuce in the bags because I thought I would have no excuses to not eat my veggies.  But they never lasted much longer than a few days and I always ended throwing the lettuce into the garbage. 

I've started to buy the "regular" lettuce.  After washing the lettuce I chop half up and leave the lettuce in a bag which I will then use for my wraps and sandwiches in my lunches.  The other half I stuck in a Tupperware Fridgesmart Container.  These Fridgesmart Containers are amazing at keeping produce and extending their life.  


I went to check on the boys again.  Now my son is in MY bed, the dog must have scampered off to the couch.


This is pretty much the result.  The tomatoes in the green bowl are going to be used in a recipe called Pastor Ryans Mexican Lasagna.  It's delicious, but I can't make it yet because I need to scour the grocery stores of Saskatoon looking for Salsa Verde.  

The other bowls contain all the vegetables I will be using for the Vegetarian Chili.  I've separated them out because they will require different amounts of time saute-ing (not sure how to add the accent acute to that word) in the skillet.

I think I might have gone a little over board on the vegetable chopping today.  No worries though, once I've sauted all the veggies I can use them as a base for a variety of vegetable-twisted recipes.



Here's the boys again.  Now they are BOTH in my bed.  

Looks like they've had the right idea all along, I think I'm going to join them.

No comments:

Post a Comment