06 May 2009

Tittles and Diacritics

Today I learnt that an "I" can't really be an i, and a "J" can't really be a j without its tittle.

What's a tittle you ask?  (and even if you don't ask, I'm going to tell you).

A tittle is the small dot above the i and the j, it's used as punctuation or as a diacritic.

And this is what a diacritic is:


Who knew these funny symbols had a name?  I think they give so much character to the letter.  

The accent acute and the accent grave look angry.  (Why am I writing this backwards you ask?  Because I learned about these in French, who happen to say things backwards and for some reason I say accent egg-u)

The cedilla looks very exotic.

The accent circumflex and the tilde look like mustaches.

And that folks, is the end of the todays lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment