08 June 2009

Riverbank Ramble


Last night when I took Max to the dog park I decided to walk along the riverbank.  I wanted the solitude and always find that being by the water quiets my soul.  



As I was slowly walking along the beach contemplating my life in general, not noticing the beauty surrounding me, Max was rushing up and down the riverbank.  He would splash into the water, and then promptly commence lapping up the water with his tongue.  All the while he had a huge smile on his face, so the water would drip right out his mouth.  He would then barreled up and down the sandy beach, his paws smacking the wet sand.  And then off he raced, up the trails that led into the trees before finally returning by galloping down the riverbank and plunging back into the water.  He definitely knows how to enjoy every moment of his life.



I found the walk to be quiet and peaceful and after a while I began to enjoy watching my dogs silly antics.  I even noticed the ducks bobbing on the water just out of reach.  I noticed the squishiness of the ground as I walked over some grass deep with water.  I enjoyed the smell of the impending rain.  I saw the dark clouds of rain ahead of me and the setting sun behind me.   I heard the softly blowing wind start to blow the leaves in the trees a little more urgently.



I began to stop thinking about the What If's and the Whens and I began to look ahead and wonder what was around the next turn.  I began to enjoy the moment and my curiosity returned, along with my hope that I would see something truly spectacular when I got around the bend. 

I never did see something spectacular around any bend that I walked past.  It was always just another bend that I saw.  Despite that I don't think my curiosity will ever diminish and I hope that my hope to see something truly spectacular around the next bend will never stop because sometimes its only my curiosity along with hope that keeps me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment