10 June 2009

Sushi


My coworker often picks up sushi to eat at lunch time.   It always looks so good, so today we decided to drive over to Charlie's Seafood Market and pick some up. 

 I tried a Tempura Dynamite Roll, and a California Roll and decided to be adventurous and try some Eel Nigiri.  The Eel Nigiri basically looks like a ball of rice with a small slice of eel draped over top which is wrapped nicely with a small strip of seaweed called nori.

I found the sushi to be quite satisfying and filling, however, I found it to be lacking something.  Don't get me wrong-the sushi was great!  It just didn't have any flair in its presentation.  

You see, the last time my coworker ate sushi at work I was very impressed with its wonderful presentation:




I think the fake grass adds a certain je ne sai quoi, don't you?

I am also very impressed with the creative use of wasabi to seal the fake grass to the side of the container:


And if I were a judge for the Iron Chef I would declare this dish the winner, based solely on its plating: the use of red and black in the tray, the "greenery" to add interest to the plate, and especially the use of wasabi sauce which shows the chef is willing to be creative with the items at hand.

Bravo! Well done!! 

Truly deserving of an Iron Chef title, if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment