07 August 2009

Fail!


Yesterday's Coconut Bun was such a delicious surprise. It was sweet but not to sweet. When you bit into it the middle was empty, but it was still filling and satisfying.

Bouyed on by my success of the Delicious Pizza Dough recipe I submitted on Tasty Kitchen, I decided to try and make these coconut buns myself. So thanks to Google, I went home last night with recipe in hand ready to make these delicious sweet rolls.


. . . . . . . . .



When my son attempts something without success he yells: FAIL!

And that is exactly what I yelled last night when I attempted to recreated the coconut buns for my very self.

I found the recipe I was following a bit strange that it asked for 2 teaspoons of salt. Seemed like a lot, but hey, I'm no baker, better do what the recipe says. I was desperate to recreate the coconut goodness I had tasted earlier in the day.

After an hour of so called "rising" I checked out my progress and found this:


A blob of dough. I took the dough out and there it lay, heavy and inert, it had not risen at all.

I took a nibble and was instantly transported back to my childhood with memories of my mothers homemade playdough, in which she added exorbitant amounts of salt so I wouldn't eat the dough. . . but I did anyway, I would just nibble teeny tiny bits. heh heh, I showed her, didn't I?

And the moral of the story is: I'm a cook. I'm no baker. Or a candlestick maker.

~b~

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree that baking and cooking are two different worlds... but I'm a baker. I fail at things like grilled vegetables (I tried to mix beets and eggplant tonight. Yucko).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my!

    I love trying out new recipes and I usually end up pleased with what I have attempted.

    Last night was definitely not one of those times.

    ReplyDelete