30 August 2009

The End of A Season


School is starting this week and I'm looking forward to getting back on a schedule. This summer was unlike any other summer I've ever had before.

These are some of the places I've been, some things I've seen, some things that have happened and some things I have learnt:



  • I moved out of my old place, threw all my belongings into storage and headed off on a 10 day, 5000 km road trip with my son without knowing where I'd stay when I returned to Saskatoon. I learnt that I really don't need a lot of my possessions and have since been ruthlessly getting rid of a lot of my stuff. It's very liberating and less messy around the house.

  • I also learnt how to wait. I learnt to trust that everything will work out when the time is right even when good friends and parents are constantly asking you if you have found a place to live yet and trying to throw you into a panic.




    • I found that I really enjoyed spending 10 days with my son. He has grown so much since our last big trip together. He is witty, intelligent, kind, thoughtful and loves to make me laugh.

    • It's been a summer of girls. My son is interested in girls and they are interested in him. Alot, if you ask me. I enjoyed the breakup message on the answering machine: You are a big fat jerk. Your a big fat jerk and I don't want to date you anymore. Why did you hang up on me and why did you tell me you had lots of other girl friends? So your a big fat jerk, So WHATEVER. Bye. I was not so happy with the $380 cell phone bill that he racked up calling to girls at the lake and the farm.



    • I attended a family gathering to celebrate a yearful of special birthdays. Almost everyone made it out and it was the first time since my father passed away 8 years ago that his absence didn't make my heart ache.



    • I found out that I have Carpal Tunnel in both my wrists and have been nudged into taking care of my old ailing 30 year old body.



    • I say my friend get her Ph.D in Chemistry, so exciting! And then I dropped her off at the airport in the wee hours of the morning as she headed off on the next phase of her life. I'm missing her a lot.


    • I introduced some co-workers to the wonders of La Bamba, its Saskatoon's only authentic Mexican restaurant.

    • I finally figured that none of my plans ever work out the way I planned. So I'm going to try to live day-to-day for the next little while and see how it turns out.
    ~b~

    1 comment:

    1. I miss you more. Come to Fredericton.
      I love you. ummmmmaaaaaa.........

      ReplyDelete