30 September 2009

Petroglyphs

As I was driving around southern Saskatchewan on Saturday I saw a sign for St. Victor Petreoglyphs and so I decided to stop and check it out.

These particular petroglyphs are located at the top of a cliff and are carved into the horizontal surface of the rock. I guess there were about 300 images or so, but I could find four or five.



Can you see this petroglyph? It's in the center, just below the lichen. I'd like to think this little guy is a reindeer, a cute little reindeer. But since we're in southern Saskatchewan it's probably just a plain old deer. Still. . . if this guy was on the front of a Christmas card, I'm sure he could pass off as a reindeer.




This one is much harder to see, its a image of a face (it's sideways) and is located on the left side of the photo, about a 1/3 way from the bottom. Beside the face it looks like there are petroglyphs of hoof prints, or something. I think the face is rather ghoulish and macabre, and I didn't particularly enjoy taking this picture, especially with the wind buffeting me around.

While the petroglyphs were pretty cool, the best part about the place was the fantastic view:

I passed many piles of stones and offerings while walking around and it gave the place such a sense of sacredness. As I sat at the top of the cliff, the sky opens up and seems endless, as did the landscape. The place seemed so ancient and timeless at the same time. I would have loved to stay longer, and would have, except the dog was pleading to go back to the car, and the incessant wind keep whipping my hair so it would lash against my cheeks and eyes.
~b~

No comments:

Post a Comment