20 November 2009

Bantam Hockey


Tonight I was a hockey step mom and got to take a friends son to his first game of a hockey tournament.

It was a very good game. The other team scored a goal and tied the game, 3-3 at the end of the last period. Apparently that means overtime when it is a tournament.

I'm not too sure of the whole cheering thing yet. I managed to sit at the wrong side of the bleachers with the other team. Basically my cheers are uttered under my breath and consist of:

  • Oh (when I was slightly excited) and
  • Oooh (when I was very excited) and also,
  • C'mon C'mon (when we were trying to score at the net), and
  • General nervous leg shaking (it was a close game in the last period) . . . although the leg shaking could have been entirely due to the Grande Gingerbread Americano Misto I consumed during the game.

My general thoughts of the Bantam hockey game are:

  • I'm not liking the checking. Those guys can hit pretty hard, and the boards sound so loud when they get checked.
  • Oh and they stink. As the teams filed passed us to play the last period, I almost passed out!
  • My attention span has now increased to minutes. Imagine that! I can't believe I would actually like watching hockey.
  • I was very impressed when #7 tried to stop a player by throwing his body at the other team players legs. Oh the danger! What dedication! The ref, however, was not impressed. I guess it's called tripping and it's a 2 minute penalty.
  • I've come a long way from the days of "puck drop" (and looking for cupcake mix too!)

I had a great time at the rink tonight and am looking forward to watching more games this weekend.

~b~

No comments:

Post a Comment