10 November 2009

Good Memory . . .


This is one of my favorite pictures. For some reason, I had been thinking of this photograph and was starting to worry that I had lost it. But I found it last friday at work while I was searching for something else.

This photo was taken when my son was about 8. I can't believe how short his hair was back then! I had just bought my Volkswagon Jetta and needed to get away, so I took 5 weeks off of work, packed the car and headed off to the West Coast.



We headed to Vancouver Island, first stopping at Quailicum Beach where we flew a big black shark kite on the windy shores and spelunked the clautrophobic caverns of Horne Lake Caves.

Then it was off down the winding highway to Ucluelet. The fog from the ocean made everything damp and I remember shivering in the tent at night. It was here, at Ucluelet where the picture was taken, when we took a whale watching excursion and rode the open sea on a wild Zodiac.

My favorite part was camping at Long Beach which is part of Pacific Rim National Park. Everyday we would walk the path from our campsite to the beach and spend our time walking in the surf, finding driftwood and climbing the rocks which jutted out of the sand. We discovered slugs of monstrous proportions and at night I would fall asleep to the roar of the ocean waves, in the distance.

After the Island, we returned to Vancouver (because I just couldn't get enough of that city), and then I reluctantly started the trip back to Saskatoon. The trip lasted 21 days, and was one of my favorites. It was the first time I had driven through the mountains, and the first and second time I went to Vancouver.

~b~

No comments:

Post a Comment