15 July 2009

Needles Highway


This is Needles Highway.  It's windy and twisty, has lots of tunnels and has lots of rock spires sticking out all over the place.  I didn't know this when I set out on my drive that morning.  I just thought the map had some interesting "markings".  This turned out to be tunnels.  and many signs that said things like "Falling Rocks" and "Sound Horn" as you enter into these one lane tunnels.  




We ended up stopping at the Needle Eye and spent some time wandering around.





The rocks above the needles eye reach 30 to 40 feet up, so we spend some time climbing about.  That is, until I realized how far up we were, and I immediately insisted my son quit climbing all those rocks. 


It was a hot day and the towering rocks blocked out the sun.  I felt like I was on another planet.



Driving through the needle.  It's only 3 feet wide.


~b~

No comments:

Post a Comment