14 July 2009

Pronghorn Peril


The wildlife is a little different in the mountains than here on the Prairies.  I thought these cute animals were tail-less white tail deer.  




I was wrong.  They were pronghorns.

If I were to describe these seemingly docile creatures in three words that start with the letter P, I would say that these pronghorns are: petite, plentiful, and pretty cute.  ok, ok, four words, and one doesn't start with P, but it's my blog so I can do what I want.  It's the reason why I love blogging so much.




I love their petite bodies and spindly legs.



I love how their eyes bug out from the sides of their tiny heads, and look back at you with those long, long lashes.



I long how their long ears elegantly point upwards in an alert sort of way.



Even the boys were compact and held a nice small set of antlers atop of their tiny heads.



I laughed when I saw their funny rears, which don't really have a tail at all, but a nice patch of fur to round out their rumps.

Most of them looked curiously at me, politely wondering why I was so rudely interrupting their early morning grazing.

All was well as I happily took pictures of these beautiful creatures with my camera.

But . . . 




Then three troublemakers quickly emerged from the ditch.

They were the nefarious and notorious pronghorn sisters from the famous NNP gang.


They were lead by their equally nefarious and equally notorious leader, who is known as the ENENL.


Under the watchful eye of their leader, the ENENL, the dastardly pronghorn sisters quickly set out to create a road block.



And block it they did, only letting us go on our merry way after a lengthy negotiation process which involved the outrageous demands of the finest chewing grass South Dakota has ever known, along with an obsene amount of chewing gum, for some odd reason.

~b~

No comments:

Post a Comment